Shiitake Mushroom and Leek Mac and Cheese
- 25 min
- 1 h 10 min
- 12 oz (375 g) fusilli pasta
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, divided
- 2 leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 lb (500 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt and pepper, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 mL) whole milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded Armstrong old Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter in large skillet set over medium-high heat; reserve 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and set aside. Cook leeks, mushrooms, thyme, and half of the salt and pepper in skillet for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms and leeks are tender. Transfer to plate.
- In same skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard, nutmeg, and remaining salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 3 cups (750 mL) cheese. Stir in reserved pasta and mushroom mixture. Transfer to greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with reserved butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Sprinkle with chives. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: Swap Shiitake mushrooms with cremini or button mushrooms if desired.