Poached eggs in tomato sauce with Armstrong Cheddar
- 15 min
- 35 min
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly chopped
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 0.5 g (1 tsp) oregano
- 0.5 g (1 tsp) basil
- 0.5 g (1 tsp) pepper flakes
- 1 can (798 mL) diced tomatoes
- 4 to 6 eggs
- 120 g (1 cup) Armstrong Extra-Old Cheddar
- 5 g (2 tbsp) chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Thinly chop the onion, garlic and red bell pepper.
- In a large skillet, soften the onion and the red bell pepper gently in the olive oil for 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Grate the Armstrong cheddar and add it to the sauce, keeping a bit for garnishing.
- With a spoon, gently dig 4 to 6 wells in the tomato sauce.
- Gently crack eggs into the wells and sprinkle with Armstrong cheddar.
- Cover and let cook slowly over low heat 5 to 7 minutes, or until eggs are just set.
- Sprinkle with parsley and Armstrong Cheddar to garnish.
*This dish is easy to share and can be enjoyed with baguette or ciabatta bread.