Creamy Wild Mushroom, Truffle Mac and Cheese
- 15 min
- 55 min
- 1 lb (450 g) mixed mushrooms (eg. shiitake, crimini)
- 75 mL (5 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) white wine
- 225 g (1/2 lb) macaroni
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) truffle oil
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) flour
- 500 mL (2 cups) milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 750 mL (3 cups) Armstrong old Cheddar cheese, grated
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) chives, finely chopped
- 4 slices Armstrong sliced Swiss cheese
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Saputo Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) breadcrumbs
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Begin by cleaning the mushrooms, remove the stem if using shiitakes. Cut mushrooms in half, smaller if they are especially large.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat melt 30 mL (2 tbsp) of butter, add mushrooms and season with a good pinch of salt. Stir often for 5 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown. Add wine and remove from heat.
- Cook macaroni in generously salted water, according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and toss with 15 mL (1 tbsp) truffle oil.
- While macaroni is cooking, in a saucepan over medium heat melt 30 mL
- (2 tbsp) of butter and add flour. When it begins to bubble cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, bring to a gentle boil, add bay leaf.
- Reduce temperature to low and cook 5 minutes until thick, stirring often. Remove bay leaf. Add grated cheddar and stir until melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl mix mushrooms, macaroni, cheddar sauce and chives. Pour 1/2 into a 22 x 22 cm (9 x 9 in) baking dish. Layer with sliced Swiss cheese, cover with remaining macaroni. In a small bowl combine parmesan and breadcrumbs, spread over mac and cheese, dot with remaining butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling. Let cool 5 minutes then serve, drizzled with the remaining truffle oil and cracked black pepper.
*Serve with a salad or stir fried spinach as part of a light, decadent meal. If you can't find truffle oil don't worry, this will still be delicious!