Cheesy Chicken & Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 20 min
- 1 h 30 min
- 2 acorn squash (about 5 lb/2.5 kg)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1 cup (250 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- 8 Armstrong Monterey Jack with Jalapeño cheese slices
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Halve and seed squash. Brush cut sides with 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil; season with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; bake, cut sides down, for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook chicken with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to plate; keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet; cook onion, celery, red pepper, garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary and remaining salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in kale; cook for about 3 minutes or until wilted
- Return chicken to skillet. Stir in chicken broth, apple cider vinegar and honey; bring to boil. Stir in quinoa.
- Spoon filling into baked squash halves; bake for 15 minutes. Top with cheese slices; bake for about 5 minutes or until filling is heated through and cheese is melted and golden. Sprinkle with chives.
* Serve with cranberry sauce if desired. Substitute turkey for chicken if desired.