Broccoli, Mushroom and Pancetta Casserole
- 25 min
- 40 min
- 2 medium broccoli heads, in small florets
- 225 g (8 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 115 g (1/4 lb) pancetta, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) Neilson or Dairyland butter
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) flour
- 625 mL (2 1/2 cups) Neilson or Dairyland milk
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 200 g (500 mL / 2 cups) Armstrong grated marbled cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, steam or boil the broccoli just until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, brown the mushrooms in 30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, fry the pancetta in 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil until crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a saucepan, sweat the onion in the butter, add the flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not brown. Whisk in the milk and add the nutmeg and cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 3/4 of the cheese and stir until it has melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the broccoli and mushrooms, and pour the mixture into an ovenproof casserole. Top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with pancetta bits.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve hot.