Armstrong Creamy, Cheesy Macaroni & Cheese
- 30 min
- 60 min
- 2 cups macaroni or other medium tubular pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika plus more for sprinkling on top
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded Armstrong Old Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Armstrong Extra Old Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Armstrong Marble cheese
- Boil water with salt. Quickly drop the pasta and remove from water within 1-2 minutes. Drain and layer into casserole dish. Let sit for 2-3 minutes. Mix in one cup of marble cheese. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour, salt, mustard, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon paprika. Stir constantly over medium heat for about three minutes.
- Stir in the milk.
- Keeping on medium heat, whisk constantly for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, let sit for about 2 minutes and stir in 1 cup of the Extra Old Cheddar cheese and ½ a cup of the Old cheddar cheese, stirring until melted. Ensure the sauce has cooled before adding cheese to avoid separation and mealy texture.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and toss gently until all noodles are covered.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, bread crumbs and paprika.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until it starts getting a slightly dry and a tiny bit brown on top (Broil for the last five minutes to create a crust).
- Serve, topping individual servings with cooked, chopped bacon and a side salad if desired.