Warm Chili Cheese Dip with Spicy Sausage
- 15 min
- 30 min
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) Dairyland or Neilson or Baxter salted or unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) flour
- 5 mL (1 tsp) chili powder
- 250 mL (1 cup) Dairyland or Neilson or Baxter milk
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Dairyland or Neilson or Baxter sour cream
- 450 g (1 lb) Armstrong Medium Cheddar, grated
- 2 large spicy sausages, casing removed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) pickled jalapeños, drained, roughly chopped
- Sufficient quantity tortilla chips
- In a saucepan on medium heat, fry 1/2 of the chopped onion in butter for 4 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and flour, cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Add chili powder and milk and mix well.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes or until the sauce has come to a boil and thickened. Add sour cream and cheddar and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, cook the sausage, breaking apart as you go, for 5 minutes, until nicely browned. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Pour the warm chili cheese into a serving bowl, top with sausage meat, tomatoes, remaining onions, and pickled jalapenos. Serve with tortilla chips.
*You can use this dip cold as a tasty sandwich spread or late night snack! For a sharper flavour substitute all or part of the cheese for Armstrong Old or Extra Old Cheddar.