Southern Corn Bread with Cheddar
- 15 min
- 55 min
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) canola oil
- 325 mL (1 1/3 cup) all purpose flour
- 150 mL (2/3 cup) fine or medium cornmeal
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) sugar
- 7.5 mL (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder
- 5 mL (1 tsp) baking soda
- 2.5 mL (1/2 tsp) salt
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) Dairyland or Baxter or Neilson salted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) Dairyland or Baxter or Neilson sour cream
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) Dairyland or Baxter or Neilson milk
- 1 ear corn or 150 mL (2/3 cup) corn kernels
- 3 bell peppers, mixed colors, seeded and finely diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 225 g (1/2 lb) Armstrong Mild Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Pour the oil into a large 25 cm (10 in) cast iron pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, sour cream and milk. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir in corn, bell peppers, jalapeño and cheddar. Do not overmix.
- Place the cast iron pan in the oven for 5 minutes to heat the oil. Remove the pan carefully from the oven and pour or spoon in the batter. Return to the oven for 40 minutes or until the centre springs back when touched. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges like a pie and serve.
*For a quicker version, make muffins! Bake at the same temperature for about 15 minutes.