Pulled BBQ Salmon Burgers
- 15 min
- 25 min
- 6 cups (1.5 L) shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 lb (1 kg) salmon fillets, skin on
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 4 tsp (20 mL) prepared steak spice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- 6 burger buns, toasted
- 6 Armstrong Havarti cheese slices
- 1/2 cup sliced pickles
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grates well.
- In large bowl, toss together coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, pat salmon dry with paper towel. Brush oil all over salmon and season with steak spice.
- In small saucepan set over medium heat, combine barbecue sauce and maple syrup; bring to simmer. Keep warm.
- Grill salmon, skin side down, for 7 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until fish just starts to flake and instant-read thermometer reads 158°F (70°C). Transfer to large bowl; remove skin.
- Using 2 forks, shred salmon into flakes and toss in warm barbecue sauce mixture. Divide salmon mixture among toasted buns. Top with cheese, coleslaw and pickles.
*Use classic Canadian-style steak spice for Canadiana flavour. Grilling salmon with the skin on will keep it moist and help it from sticking to the grill.