Hot Cuban Sandwich
- 20 min
- 34 min
- 2 dill pickles
- 1 loaf of flat bread, cut in half
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) salted butter
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) prepared mustard
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) mayonnaise
- 680 g (1 1/2 lb) roast pork, sliced
- 680 g (1 1/2 lb) ham, sliced
- 480 g (3 packages) Armstrong sliced Swiss cheese
- Preheat the barbecue grill.
- Thinly slice the pickles lengthwise. Pat dry and set aside.
- Butter the crust of both halves of the bread and place on a work surface, buttered side down.
- Combine the mustard and mayonnaise and spread generously on the inside of both pieces of bread.
- Arrange the pork on one half, followed by the ham and the Swiss cheese. Top with pickle slices. Cover with the other piece of bread to make one large sandwich. Press down with your palms to flatten it.
- Seal tightly in a double thickness of aluminium foil.
- Place the wrapped sandwich on the grill and weigh it down with two bricks. Turn the burner beneath the sandwich to the lowest setting, but leave the other burners on high. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Turn the sandwich, replace the bricks and cook another 6 minutes.
- Unwrap the sandwich and place it over the hottest burner. Mark well on both sides.
- Cut into portions and serve hot.