Chicken, Broccoli and Cheddar Pot Pies
- 25 min
- 60 min
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper
- ¼ cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 2½ cups (625 mL) small broccoli florets, blanched
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups (500 mL) Armstrong old cheddar, grated
- 1½ sheets pre-rolled puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 or 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and chicken broth. Stirring constantly, cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture begins to simmer and thickens. Stir in broccoli, chicken, mustard and nutmeg; return to simmer. Remove from heat and stir in 1½ cups (375 mL) of the cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Divide filling among six 1-cup (250-mL) ramekins; let cool slightly. Place pastry on lightly-floured surface and cut into six equal squares. Place one piece of pastry atop each ramekin, pressing gently to adhere. Beat egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water and brush lightly over the pastry. Cut two steam vents in the centre of each pie. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the puff pastry.
- Place ramekins on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until filling is bubbling and pastry is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
*This dish is also delicious when made with dried or fresh rosemary instead of thyme.