Cheesy “Philly Joe” Sliders
- 20 min
- 50 min
- 6 to 8
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb (250 g) ground beef
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 24 slices baguette, about 1/4-inch thick
- 6 Armstrong Swiss Slices, quartered
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) ketchup
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Sriracha
- Combine ketchup with Sriracha. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in large skillet set over medium heat. Cook peppers and onion for 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a plate. In the same skillet, heat remaining oil and crumble in ground beef. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until beef is browned. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, water and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the spicy ketchup mixture. Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until beef is cooked through and almost no liquid remains in pan.
- Top half the baguette rounds with a piece of cheese. Divide the ground meat mixture, peppers and onions amongst the 12 baguette slices and top with another piece of cheese. Cap with remaining baguette rounds. Brush the outside of the bread slices with butter.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook sliders, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until cheese melts and bread is toasted.
- Serve sliders with remaining spicy ketchup.
*Substitute Sriracha with your favourite hot sauce.